Skip to main content

On Carriage Road in January

I remember specifically the last time suicide, as an option, crossed my mind. It's always a little bit there, underneath the surface of my love for living. That's quite the paradox isn't it? I love life so dang much, I love everything about being alive and on this planet. And also, sometimes my depression comes through my mind, and just lays a blanket on my optimism. It's extremely frustrating.

I was staring out the window in the backseat of my parents car. It was January of 2017. The scenes passing me in the window had no color, no life. I felt pure exhaustion. I had spent the morning wondering if life would always be like this, if I would always be this tired from constantly fighting the demons inside of me.

Next thing I knew the word suicide shot across my brain. I immediately felt tears just jumping out of my eyes. Right as that level of hopelessness grabbed my wrists, I was terrified. How could I be here AGAIN?! I thought I beat this the past two times I considered and attempted suicide.  How could I even let that thought cross my mind? Right after this, my niece and nephew appeared in my heart. More tears silently flowing as I just stare at the world pass. I was feeling so much terror, terrified with myself, my thoughts, and the possible actions that this could've encompassed. And feeling. so. alone.

There I was with who people that loved me so much, not even an arm's length away, and they had no idea what was swirling in my head. I'm not even sure I could've put words to it if I tried; or if they'd get it. Not that it would've been their fault, I don't even understand it myself.
But there's something about saying things out loud. It makes them real, gives them power that I don't want them to have. I'm already so disgusted and terrified of this dark and stormy puzzle piece yelling inside of me.

What do we do with those pieces?
I know I'm not alone in these thoughts and feelings, and I know we are a full puzzle, not just the pieces that put it together.

Because on the other hand, talking about these things almost takes away their power. I'm a damned therapist, and spend 40 hours a week encouraging others to share their feelings and thoughts, and to fight the shame and stigma of mental health. No, not everyone is going to know how to respond, and sometimes people's perceptions and reactions might not feel great...but that can be seen as a chance to educate and inform. Speaking freely on the battles in our head can also give us power back, it can give a chance for your heart and soul to step forward. That's where the healing comes from, our mind's are beautiful, but they can be sneaky and sometimes they get sick. Sometimes the brain needs a break, a moment to step back and take a deep breathe. This is when our heart and soul step forward and carry us for awhile.

I still feel intense emotion about my previous suicide attempts/thoughts, and I'm trying really hard to prepare myself for the next time it comes around. Because it will. But if we are prepared and we stop shaming and spitting on them in disgust, then maybe they won't take us by surprise as much and we can tell someone, or ask for help. Or maybe we'll find that hope, that lifeline inside of us, just a little bit quicker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilac Sidewalk

  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday.  It catches you by surprise.   But today. They are here. Either smell or sight and you are called out. Silky petals. Our female elders peeking out with their violet irises The smell, oh the smell.  It swirls in your chest trying to coat your lungs, for just a little bit longer. Same Sidewalk. As Yesterday. You see the crispy. The sun held them just a little bit too long. Close enough, the smell sits still.  But the drops have drifted. Toasted and broiled. It’s gone so fast. Sad and True. I mourn for those that missed it. For those that will forget.  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday. Their abode remains season to season. Empty and forgotten Their graceful presence is now a brief memory. Every now and again, I remember what was once. And what will be again.

Prompt: The Dust of Old Bones

I am realizing that when given a prompt, I want to write anything and everything that comes to mind. I am beginning to explore prompts and this one is from a SLC Group called "Salty Scribblers" Deep in her closet a box lies, the dust has spread over the top and seeped to the sides. It has moved with her again and again, though only receives a hesitant glance now and then. But sometimes In her dreams she skips to it, excited to rummage through and release the treasures inside. As she peeks in, she sees distant memories, fervent feelings, and amusement of all kinds.  A Pink and worn Teddy Bear with arms open and a rainbow kite, ripped and bright.  A Snowman sits at the bottom, still frosty and needing a nose.  The scraped knees and rain puddles remind her of play. Some nights she takes one or two out and lays them on her sleeping self, testing the fit.  The beliefs are the hardest to fit.  Her parents know all and her sister protects no matter her own monster wall. When she kne

Prompt: The Monster Behind the Mask

  For 12 months we tried to fight the cloth tied over our face Begging to be free, pleading for control back of our spaces When the days brought flowers again, the hope rose The belief was that normalcy would return We untied, dismantled, and tore off our masks  Jubilated to feel free of this grasp Instead, what was found was both desolate and perplexing Normal had nowhere to go Except back into our purposeless pit  The place that held who we believed we were and wanted to be Normal began to feel more like a fraud than a foundation Yes, our breathe could flow in and out of our inlet But still felt imprisoned in our cavity, so tight Relationship was rigid and stiff Both with ourselves and fellow peers Our feelings and tempers rioting inside Blurting out our inadequacies far and wide After 2 short moons  It was recommended to tie that cloth back to our faces Which we did in most places A feeling of ease at this cumbersome task  To keep the monster behind our mask