Skip to main content

The Architect


Who provided me the bricks I built this fortress with? Who is the architect of this bastille around me, with no moat to be seen. Spending months yearning for an escape route, begging to understand how it’s come to this. When did I become cold? When did I become so hard to know? How did I become the person that gets nauseous seeing engagement pictures, feeling bitter towards those that have found love? Mocking the basic pictures of a beautiful hand that could never be mine, due to the bloody stumps that lie at the end of my fingers.



Was it you, first love? The first guy that made my heart jump. The one that first made me believe that true love existed in soft rock and mayday parade lyrics. The one that made my hands sweaty, and that created the story of ever after in my head. Who opened this world of "love" to me. The one that in the daylight stood by my side when I first learned what breaking is, and who viciously reminded me that ITS NOT YOUR FAULT. And the same one that in the dark challenged my "NO", who pushed my first elastic boundaries, who continued the belief that I exist for men. That reinforced those unfamiliar hands that touched me as a child. Reminded me That I am here to please men, to be perfect, to hold them and guide them, and be that nurturing figure that I NEVER HAD. Do you know how fucking confusing that was for a 16 year old? To be raped by your first love, the one that was your everything, and blatantly became your nothing in one push, one grab, and one moment. 



Was it you, mom? Who doesn't believe the lies she tells herself. Who provided me a space I was supposed to feel unconditional love, yet only learned how to not love myself. A place where my words didn't matter, my emotions were unimportant, and my heart had no voice. A place where a nurturing touch didn't exist, and I never believed that my mother loved me. The mother that sprouted in consistent pain from her own mother, and who tried so hard to avoid living her childhood nightmare… so in turn turned off the parts of her heart that were meant for me. It wasn’t her fault.




Or was it you, my moon? The one that still haunts every date? Every physical touch? Every fucking love song. The one that continually pulled me close and then threw me to the ground. Who licked the wounds and gashes that he himself formed? The one that for 6 years tried to teach me that I AM NOT ENOUGH. The one that reinforced the love I have always been searching for. But instead of building it you did it by creating a virtual reality where I could never do anything right, and the eggshells I walked on around you cut my feet to bloody shreds. The one that attempted to tell me that every man wanted to fuck me, but that he was different. The one that instilled the deepest fear I have ever felt from another human, who taunts my dreams, haunting me. The one that has taken years to strip from my fingers, and wrench from my roots. That’s what abuse does, it roots in you, breathing flames into your heart, attempting to love and hate you all at the same time. Breaking you slowly, leaving you in the dust picking your pieces up wondering where the hell you went wrong.



Or could it be the other bunch of men that sputtered, "I love you". Yet, never knowing your You. Without understanding. Without accepting. While controlling and flattening me into your expectations. Your pedestal you locked me to. A pedestal with impervious standards. Hoops to jump through and no direction given. Masks plastered to my face without my agreement. Hands woven into mine, while I scrape mine out of yours. A costume created without my consent. A building I was expected to both live in beautifully and then jump off of without making a mess. That fell in love with what I represented to them. Their broken pieces begging me not to go. Lashing down on me, pinning me to the wall, because I was theirs, and they didn’t know what  love was either (how to let go).



Or is it me? Am I the architect? Am I making the choice to not build a door or even a window. Have I become the cement between the cracks? Am I the one reinforcing the belief that men’s insecurities are my fault, that the pain in the world is my own projected forward. Am I the one pumping the rhythm of toxicity into my blood, creating a shield to forever hide behind. Keeping everyone just a few steps away, and a few steps behind me.



Yes I will tell you…let’s date, let’s kiss, let’s drink, eat, and be merry. BUT DO NOT HOLD ME. DO NOT BE THERE FOR ME. DO NOT SLEEP NEXT TO ME. DO NOT LOVE ME BECAUSE YOU WILL BREAK. AND I WILL FOREVER REMEMBER THAT THE PAIN IN THIS WORLD IS MY FAULT.



Who can I blame? Hiding behind this shield of fear. At the end of the day I’ve considered love a weakness, a broken piece of myself and I’m terrified of it.



I want to spiral with others, recurve this story of mine with gold pieces. Rebuild this toxic theory with new evidence. The unknown lying ahead, but knowing that never again will I share my sorry’s for not loving you how you want, nor apologize for over-loving, or push myself into a hole of lies that you or I tell myself. For now, I will only be bound by the things I choose, and I’ve finally realized it’s my fucking choice to choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilac Sidewalk

  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday.  It catches you by surprise.   But today. They are here. Either smell or sight and you are called out. Silky petals. Our female elders peeking out with their violet irises The smell, oh the smell.  It swirls in your chest trying to coat your lungs, for just a little bit longer. Same Sidewalk. As Yesterday. You see the crispy. The sun held them just a little bit too long. Close enough, the smell sits still.  But the drops have drifted. Toasted and broiled. It’s gone so fast. Sad and True. I mourn for those that missed it. For those that will forget.  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday. Their abode remains season to season. Empty and forgotten Their graceful presence is now a brief memory. Every now and again, I remember what was once. And what will be again.

Prompt: The Dust of Old Bones

I am realizing that when given a prompt, I want to write anything and everything that comes to mind. I am beginning to explore prompts and this one is from a SLC Group called "Salty Scribblers" Deep in her closet a box lies, the dust has spread over the top and seeped to the sides. It has moved with her again and again, though only receives a hesitant glance now and then. But sometimes In her dreams she skips to it, excited to rummage through and release the treasures inside. As she peeks in, she sees distant memories, fervent feelings, and amusement of all kinds.  A Pink and worn Teddy Bear with arms open and a rainbow kite, ripped and bright.  A Snowman sits at the bottom, still frosty and needing a nose.  The scraped knees and rain puddles remind her of play. Some nights she takes one or two out and lays them on her sleeping self, testing the fit.  The beliefs are the hardest to fit.  Her parents know all and her sister protects no matter her own monster wall. When she kne

Prompt: The Monster Behind the Mask

  For 12 months we tried to fight the cloth tied over our face Begging to be free, pleading for control back of our spaces When the days brought flowers again, the hope rose The belief was that normalcy would return We untied, dismantled, and tore off our masks  Jubilated to feel free of this grasp Instead, what was found was both desolate and perplexing Normal had nowhere to go Except back into our purposeless pit  The place that held who we believed we were and wanted to be Normal began to feel more like a fraud than a foundation Yes, our breathe could flow in and out of our inlet But still felt imprisoned in our cavity, so tight Relationship was rigid and stiff Both with ourselves and fellow peers Our feelings and tempers rioting inside Blurting out our inadequacies far and wide After 2 short moons  It was recommended to tie that cloth back to our faces Which we did in most places A feeling of ease at this cumbersome task  To keep the monster behind our mask