Skip to main content

25 New Experiences Before 25 Years

So my wise and life loving Aunt Joanne told me in March of 2018 that she and my Aunt Judy were doing a bucket list type adventure where every main 5 years they were doing things they'd never done before. She was currently working on 65 new things before they turned 65! I love this idea because it doesn't have to be crazy things like skydiving, touching every continent, or swim with sharks...it could be! But it could be something little that you've always wanted to experience... so Marlae and I created our lists. I had 9 months to complete 25 new things.

1. Learn to drive a Manual
-Did this in Europe, a good mix of break downs, exhilaration when I knew what was happening, and some close calls with almost hitting pedestrians. I don't think I feel the urge to ever do it again, especially not in downtown Amsterdam. 

2. Experience First Friday in Fort Collins

-Historic Downtown Fort Collins is home to a vibrant art community! Each month during First Friday Gallery Walk, 15 of Old Town’s finest galleries, museums, and art-minded shops stay open late for new showcases, interactive displays, and artist talks during this self-guided walking tour. 

3. Do a solo backpacking trip

-Hiked up to Cirque Meadows and camping during the Perseid Meteor Shower. No, I saw zero meteors and am still unsure how that happened because it was a beautiful and clear night. 

4. Hike a 14-er

-I thank my partner in crime, Marlae, for laughing with me up Mt. Bierstady

5. Eat Escargot

-Again, Marlae is the best adventure buddy. Sitting below the Eiffel tower, 2 wine bottles in we explored the dirt garlic tasting gastropods. 

6. Drive on the Autobahn

-**Learned how to drive stick shift on the autobahn** :)

7. Summit an Alp Mountain

-Man this was one of the hardest hikes I've done, and so insanely beautiful. Chaco life, the only bear to exist in Swiss National Park, and literally crawling up the mountain by the end

8. Learn to Play Chess

-The goal was not to become good at chess...

9. Start an Herb Garden

-This did not go well at all...I had lemon grass, citronella, basil, and mint. They all died. I have now killed 3 basil plants, but I have oregano and sage growing curerntly and they are doing great

10. Open my Own Geodes

-Ruined some socks while cracking open the rocks, but this was super cool!

11. Start a Compost

-I kind of keep forgetting I have a bucket with like a year supply of compost... 

12. Tye Dye

-Nope, I had never done any tye dying... but I chose my T-Rex t-shirt and tye dyed the shit out of it

13. Go to the Colorado Sand Dunes

-Thank you Jacob for that adventure, and finding someone's iPhone buried in the sand

14. Fly a Kite

-My parents say I've done this before, but I have zero recollection so I did it again and it felt like the first time :)

15. Take a Krav Maga Class

-Twas cool, expensive to become an expert though...

16. Perform a Poem in Front of People

-@Blue Door  on January 10th I stood up in front of probably 25 people and performed "The Architect", and even did it without alcohol! Shook the whole time, but felt extremely proud of myself

17. Completed Whole 30, including 30 days without alcohol

-I'm pretty sure I haven't gone 30 days without alcohol in YEARS. This was hard, and also easier than I expected it was going to be. 

18. Get Waxed

-Marlae and I agreed to not shave our legs from October to March and then got our legs waxed! Also don't think I need to do that one again..

19. Buy Art off the Wall

-Blue Mug Coffee Shop in Greeley, CO I found a beautiful painting 

20. Try Aerial Yoga

-Thank you Natalie for showing me this! The silks kind of smelled like sweaty balls, but it was a whole different way to move your body


21. Buy a Lotto Ticket

-Mormon childhood... I didn't win

22. Take a Boxing Class

-ILoveKickboxing has some amazing classes, and if it weren't so expensive I'd totally be a full-time boxer

23. Visit a Ghost Town

-this one has been on my list forever, and Marlae supported me in my trampezing to St.Elmo which was incredible and full of tons of humming birds 

24. Touch 4 States At Once

-Four Corners: Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona

25. Enter a New State

-New Mexico traveling :) 



We, probably, only have one life to live. And so many of us spend our time making lists in our head and hearts of things we hope to do before we die. Then we spend more time coming up with excuses to not do them; money, time, kids, etc. Yes, we have responsibilities if we want to be functioning adults, but also we owe ourselves, this world, and our loved ones our best selves. Experiencing new things, fighting back against fear, facing the unknown, coming alive! That's what we owe the world, is to be alive. Do the things, big or little, that you've always wanted to. Embrace the magnificence this world holds for us. There are so many options and opportunities out there to LIVE. 

Great Sand Dune burying done right :)

Who doesn't want to yodel on top of an Alp??

Gastropods

Mt. Bierstadt, first 14-er

Geodes!!

Me feeling all adult-like, buying art off the wall. But isn't that BEAUTIFUL?

My beautiful best friend in St. Elmo Ghost Town

Let's bend into four states..:)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilac Sidewalk

  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday.  It catches you by surprise.   But today. They are here. Either smell or sight and you are called out. Silky petals. Our female elders peeking out with their violet irises The smell, oh the smell.  It swirls in your chest trying to coat your lungs, for just a little bit longer. Same Sidewalk. As Yesterday. You see the crispy. The sun held them just a little bit too long. Close enough, the smell sits still.  But the drops have drifted. Toasted and broiled. It’s gone so fast. Sad and True. I mourn for those that missed it. For those that will forget.  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday. Their abode remains season to season. Empty and forgotten Their graceful presence is now a brief memory. Every now and again, I remember what was once. And what will be again.

Prompt: The Dust of Old Bones

I am realizing that when given a prompt, I want to write anything and everything that comes to mind. I am beginning to explore prompts and this one is from a SLC Group called "Salty Scribblers" Deep in her closet a box lies, the dust has spread over the top and seeped to the sides. It has moved with her again and again, though only receives a hesitant glance now and then. But sometimes In her dreams she skips to it, excited to rummage through and release the treasures inside. As she peeks in, she sees distant memories, fervent feelings, and amusement of all kinds.  A Pink and worn Teddy Bear with arms open and a rainbow kite, ripped and bright.  A Snowman sits at the bottom, still frosty and needing a nose.  The scraped knees and rain puddles remind her of play. Some nights she takes one or two out and lays them on her sleeping self, testing the fit.  The beliefs are the hardest to fit.  Her parents know all and her sister protects no matter her own monster wall. When she kne

Prompt: The Monster Behind the Mask

  For 12 months we tried to fight the cloth tied over our face Begging to be free, pleading for control back of our spaces When the days brought flowers again, the hope rose The belief was that normalcy would return We untied, dismantled, and tore off our masks  Jubilated to feel free of this grasp Instead, what was found was both desolate and perplexing Normal had nowhere to go Except back into our purposeless pit  The place that held who we believed we were and wanted to be Normal began to feel more like a fraud than a foundation Yes, our breathe could flow in and out of our inlet But still felt imprisoned in our cavity, so tight Relationship was rigid and stiff Both with ourselves and fellow peers Our feelings and tempers rioting inside Blurting out our inadequacies far and wide After 2 short moons  It was recommended to tie that cloth back to our faces Which we did in most places A feeling of ease at this cumbersome task  To keep the monster behind our mask