Skip to main content

Take A Stand

This semester has already proved to be INTENSE. I go back and forth from wanting to cry, scream, physically injure, or just crumble into a pile on my floor.

There's been a lot of moments that I feel overwhelmed with what I'm doing, confused and questioning if  driving boxes of posters around, asking people for donations, and sitting on my bedroom floor for 8 hours stuffing packets is doing anything good for the World. Wondering if I am fulfilling my Social Work Masters role.

Then, I watched the documentary "13th".. a documentary made by Ava DuVernay that explores the history of racial inequality in the United States, and especially focuses on the fact that the nation's prisons are disproportionately filled with African Americans. While I watched this I had been on bedroom floor for 6 hours already filling 200 packets for my internship (I've now done 400+). My back hurt, my fingers were getting blisters, and I was having moments of frustration because this didn't feel like something a masters student should be doing.

This documentary did a lot of reviewing and comparing history of racial inequality from the days of slavery to right now. With Donald Trump as our president, it's all the same. History is repeating itself. If you see videos and photos from the Civil Rights Campaign led by Martin Luther King JR, you know that the Black Lives Matter Campaign, the protests for immigrants rights, the fight against building a wall around our country, and fighting for basic human rights are all so similar. Our country holds systematic oppression over our heads. African American's are being killed and put in jails at an astounding rate (The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander) , our jail system is the new slave system. We treat people experiencing homelessness like criminals and dirty barbarians, just for trying to sleep and eat, to survive! We are banning people from coming into our country that used to pride itself on being diverse and free. And we have a president that is a known sexist, bigot, and ignorant ass that spends weekends on his golf resort while Puerto Rico is begging for food and water just to survive.

Anyway on this night my emotions were overpowering when I looked down and really truly realized that I was stuffing these packets so people would be prepared to get kicked out of our country. They are immigration packets filled with resources for those to know their rights, what was safe to share, who was safe to contact, and what to do with their children, homes, and finances if something were to happen to them. Do you understand how bizarre it is that I even had to be doing this?! When did this happen? How did this happen? I do know that if I was alive during the Civil Rights Movement I would've been doing the same thing, I would be on those buses protesting, I would stuff packets for nights on end. Because it's the little things that count. Me, as one person, will not change our system, I cannot get Donald Trump impeached, I can't keep a wall from being built on our borders, but I can stuff packets for 8 hours. That is how I can help.

I might never know, but with everything going on in our country all I can do is make the commitment. I will commit to fighting for justice, peace, and human rights.  I will focus on what is in my control. I will turn my anger, my sadness, my frustration into action. We will fight back. And we will fall, and you bet your ass we will stand again. This is our time. Our country is in a time of transition, and it can go one of two ways. Fall farther into our disgusting dehumanization we call policy and our insane economic inequality. Or we can stand up together, form a united front, and change our policies to support all humans. A country built on peace and acceptance in all forms.

Make the commitment with me.
I know politics is overwhelming and intimidating. I've only been focused on this field for about 4 months and I am still so far behind. Most meetings I walk into I have NO idea what's going on, I feel like I have nothing to say and if I open my mouth ignorance will leak from it. But also, I am able to write a post like this and feel comfortable sharing my views because it feels right. Listen to your own heart, because it knows what is right. Keep learning, trying, and fighting. Ignorance is NOT bliss. Our country has gotten to this point because too many people feel intimidated and turn the news off, ignore the radio, and don't vote.

Get involved in anyway you can, whether that be reading articles, listening to bi-partisan news, looking at pictures that spark empathy, standing in at a protest that maybe you're not totally sure what's going on, ASK QUESTIONS, and choose to learn. We are all capable and strong human beings.
A poem by Sherman Alexie addressing the hate in our country:
Hymn
Why do we measure people's capacity
To love by how well they love their progeny?
That kind of love is easy. Encoded.
Any lion can be devoted
To its cubs. Any insect, be it prey
Or predator, worships its own DNA.
Like the wolf, elephant, bear, and bees,
We humans are programmed to love what we conceive.
That's why it's so shocking when a neighbor
Drives his car into a pond and slaughter–
Drowns his children. And that's why we curse
The mother who leaves her kids—her hearth—
And never returns. That kind of betrayal
Rattles our souls. That shit is biblical.
So, yes, we should grieve an ocean
When we encounter a caretaker so broken.
But I'm not going to send you a card
For being a decent parent. It ain't that hard
To love somebody who resembles you.
If you want an ode then join the endless queue
Of people who are good to their next of kin—
Who somehow love people with the same chin
And skin and religion and accent and eyes.
So you love your sibling? Big fucking surprise.
But how much do you love the strange and stranger?
Hey, Caveman, do you see only danger
When you peer into the night? Are you afraid
Of the country that exists outside of your cave?
Hey, Caveman, when are you going to evolve?
Are you still baffled by the way the earth revolves
Around the sun and not the other way around?
Are you terrified by the ever-shifting ground?
Hey, Trump, I know you weren't loved enough
By your sandpaper father, who roughed and roughed
And roughed the world. I have some empathy
For the boy you were. But, damn, your incivility,
Your volcanic hostility, your lists
Of enemies, your moral apocalypse—
All of it makes you dumb and dangerous.
You are the Antichrist we need to antitrust.
Or maybe you're only a minor league
Dictator—temporary, small, and weak.
You've wounded our country. It might heal.
And yet, I think of what you've revealed
About the millions and millions of people
Who worship beneath your tarnished steeple.
Those folks admire your lack of compassion.
They think it's honest and wonderfully old-fashioned.
They call you traditional and Christian.
LOL! You've given them permission
To be callous. They have been rewarded
For being heavily armed and heavily guarded.
You've convinced them that their deadly sins
(Envy, wrath, greed) have transformed into wins.
Of course, I'm also fragile and finite and flawed.
I have yet to fully atone for the pain I've caused.
I'm an atheist who believes in grace if not in God.
I'm a humanist who thinks that we’re all not
Humane enough. I think of someone who loves me—
A friend I love back—and how he didn't believe
How much I grieved the death of Prince and his paisley.
My friend doubted that anyone could grieve so deeply
The death of any stranger, especially a star.
"It doesn't feel real," he said. If I could play guitar
And sing, I would have turned purple and roared
One hundred Prince songs—every lick and chord—
But I think my friend would have still doubted me.
And now, in the context of this poem, I can see
That my friend’s love was the kind that only burns
In expectation of a fire in return.
He’s no longer my friend. I mourn that loss.
But, in the Trump aftermath, I've measured the costs
And benefits of loving those who don't love
Strangers. After all, I'm often the odd one—
The strangest stranger—in any field or room.
"He was weird" will be carved into my tomb.
But it’s wrong to measure my family and friends
By where their love for me begins or ends.
It’s too easy to keep a domestic score.
This world demands more love than that. More.
So let me ask demanding questions: Will you be
Eyes for the blind? Will you become the feet
For the wounded? Will you protect the poor?
Will you welcome the lost to your shore?
Will you battle the blood-thieves
And rescue the powerless from their teeth?
Who will you be? Who will I become
As we gather in this terrible kingdom?
My friends, I'm not quite sure what I should do.
I'm as angry and afraid and disillusioned as you.
But I do know this: I will resist hate. I will resist.
I will stand and sing my love. I will use my fist
To drum and drum my love. I will write and read poems
That offer the warmth and shelter of any good home.
I will sing for people who might not sing for me.
I will sing for people who are not my family.
I will sing honor songs for the unfamilar and new.
I will visit a different church and pray in a different pew.
I will silently sit and carefully listen to new stories
About other people’s tragedies and glories.
I will not assume my pain and joy are better.
I will not claim my people invented gravity or weather.
And, oh, I know I will still feel my rage and rage and rage
But I won’t act like I’m the only person onstage.
I am one more citizen marching against hatred.
Alone, we are defenseless. Collected, we are sacred.
We will march by the millions. We will tremble and grieve.
We will praise and weep and laugh. We will believe.

We will be courageous with our love. We will risk danger
As we sing and sing and sing to welcome strangers.]]
-Sherman Alexie






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilac Sidewalk

  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday.  It catches you by surprise.   But today. They are here. Either smell or sight and you are called out. Silky petals. Our female elders peeking out with their violet irises The smell, oh the smell.  It swirls in your chest trying to coat your lungs, for just a little bit longer. Same Sidewalk. As Yesterday. You see the crispy. The sun held them just a little bit too long. Close enough, the smell sits still.  But the drops have drifted. Toasted and broiled. It’s gone so fast. Sad and True. I mourn for those that missed it. For those that will forget.  Same Sidewalk.  As Yesterday. Their abode remains season to season. Empty and forgotten Their graceful presence is now a brief memory. Every now and again, I remember what was once. And what will be again.

Prompt: The Dust of Old Bones

I am realizing that when given a prompt, I want to write anything and everything that comes to mind. I am beginning to explore prompts and this one is from a SLC Group called "Salty Scribblers" Deep in her closet a box lies, the dust has spread over the top and seeped to the sides. It has moved with her again and again, though only receives a hesitant glance now and then. But sometimes In her dreams she skips to it, excited to rummage through and release the treasures inside. As she peeks in, she sees distant memories, fervent feelings, and amusement of all kinds.  A Pink and worn Teddy Bear with arms open and a rainbow kite, ripped and bright.  A Snowman sits at the bottom, still frosty and needing a nose.  The scraped knees and rain puddles remind her of play. Some nights she takes one or two out and lays them on her sleeping self, testing the fit.  The beliefs are the hardest to fit.  Her parents know all and her sister protects no matter her own monster wall. When she kne

Prompt: The Monster Behind the Mask

  For 12 months we tried to fight the cloth tied over our face Begging to be free, pleading for control back of our spaces When the days brought flowers again, the hope rose The belief was that normalcy would return We untied, dismantled, and tore off our masks  Jubilated to feel free of this grasp Instead, what was found was both desolate and perplexing Normal had nowhere to go Except back into our purposeless pit  The place that held who we believed we were and wanted to be Normal began to feel more like a fraud than a foundation Yes, our breathe could flow in and out of our inlet But still felt imprisoned in our cavity, so tight Relationship was rigid and stiff Both with ourselves and fellow peers Our feelings and tempers rioting inside Blurting out our inadequacies far and wide After 2 short moons  It was recommended to tie that cloth back to our faces Which we did in most places A feeling of ease at this cumbersome task  To keep the monster behind our mask